Monday, May 16, 2011

№ 4. Why Travel?



“W. Somerset Maugham called books ‘a refuge from almost all the miseries of life’ -- and as fun as travel can be, being far from home can also be exhausting, hectic and fraught with flashes of sweet misery. For literate travelers, a good bookstore is a sanctuary.” (Trazzler)


I’ll let my mind wander and dive in, for now. I’ll put on my thinking shoes and buckle down to ponder the pages.

And if I get stumped wrestling with my Id, Ego and God knows whatever unnamed monsters there are under the iceberg, let me rest. Maybe I’ll break bread with them. Then we can plan our next expedition over adobo pao and xiao long bao.

Next time when the toe itches, we will be prepared. We will travel again.

Oh, and we’ll make sure bossy Superego will be in the minority.


I remember this Trinity from Psy 100. FREUD'S.
Bento Box:

“We travel, initially, to lose ourselves; and we travel, next, to find ourselves. We travel to open our hearts and eyes and learn more about the world than our newspapers will accommodate. We travel to bring what little we can, in our ignorance and knowledge, to those parts of the globe whose riches are differently dispersed. And we travel, in essence, to become young fools again—to slow time down and get taken in, and fall in love once more. The beauty of this whole process was best described, perhaps, before people even took to frequent flying, by George Santayana in his lapidary essay, “The Philosophy of Travel.” We “need sometimes,” the Harvard philosopher wrote, “to escape into open solitudes, into aimlessness, into the moral holiday of running some pure hazard, in order to sharpen the edge of life, to taste hardship, and to be compelled to work desperately for a moment at no matter what.”

----from Pico Iyer’s “Why We Travel”

PS: Thanks to RR, a facebook friend, for posting the Trazzler article.


---oΘo---

3 comments:

  1. i love Santayana. and i love all these writers you quoted. thank you. my recent favorite quote related to travel is Thoreau's: "I have traveled a great deal in Concord," which is similar to something you said in a similar earlier post, which I'm also actually doing now. I'm doing little actual traveling in my daily life but I'm exploring my little piece of earth so very closely, reading more books than I ever have, and "traveling" a great deal. Cheers to that attitude of "exploration" wherever we may be. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello again Teacup. I'm happy to hear about your explorations. Yup, there are as many paths as there are means and ends. Enjoy and, please, blog them so we can share the fun of travel with you, too.

    I'm off to Calaguas and Bagasbas tonight to surf and swim. More, soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, surfing and swimming! sounds perfect at this time of the year especially! looking forward to hear more.

    ReplyDelete